Healthcare marketing – Two words with different meanings Healthcare being our need and marketing being a demand are together to change the health status of human life.
Healthcare has become one of India’s largest sectors both in terms of revenue & employment. The industry is growing at a tremendous pace owing to its strengthening coverage, services and increasing expenditure by the public as well private players.
- During 2008-20, the market is expected to record a CAGR of 16.5 percent
- The total industry size is expected to touch USD160 billion by 2017 & USD280 billion by 2020.
- These numbers tell us a lot about the future potential market for most of the digital marketing agencies.
Healthcare is a market that was growing with technology and medical practices till digitalization took birth. Digital Marketing has entered Healthcare market to reach global demand.
More than half of the healthcare companies in India – multi-national and domestic – have a good presence on digital platforms, and are failing to actively engage with their stakeholders, as stated by the ‘ India Digital Health Report 2017′ by D Yellow Elephant. The report analyzed 160 India based companies across 4 verticals of the medical industry – pharmaceuticals, medical devices & equipment, diagnostics, and hospitals. The companies were analyzed on 12 key digital and social parameters – websites, apps, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+, Blogger, Pinterest, Flickr, Instagram, and Tumblr. Social media is widespread in the world. It is completely dependent on Trends and Talks.
Social Media platforms that talk Health Care, benefit two categories – the Health Care professionals/Healthcare organizations and common public.
The top pharmaceutical companies worldwide use social media as their important strategic move, the top five being Johnson & Johnson, GlaxoSmithKline, Novo Nordisk, Pfizer, and Novartis, which are well-known names throughout the world. These companies are benefitting from social-media for consumer engagement purposes. Social media is used to gain market intelligence through analytical tools, to obtain real-time customer feedback, to engage in brand promotion, and to create disease awareness. Johnson & Johnson is a forerunner in this domain, being the first to create an active social presence, through a blog dedicated for employee stories, wellness facts, and corporate details, supplemented by YouTube, Facebook/Twitter. Social media can be better leveraged for Over the Counter(OTC) products owing to less stringent regulations, where advertising becomes similar to that of Fast Moving Consumer Goods(FMCG) products. Social Media Platforms that have the highest demand for Healthcare talks are LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook. LinkedIn enjoys the maximum presence with 91% healthcare players having a dedicated page, but only 11% companies actively engaging on the platform. Facebook is the second most preferred platform with 90% presence rate, followed by Twitter and YouTube.
Pharma Organisations, Healthcare Professionals, Patients to be in social touch with their Doctors on Social Media Platforms.
Different Strategies for Social Media Marketing of Healthcare industry include:
- Campaigns – Campaigns that include a landing page with an interactive activity such as a survey, for example, a BMI Calculator, Skin Health Survey. This Campaign can be promoted on Facebook and Twitter which will provide pharmaceuticals a database that can be provided to Healthcare professionals.
- Video Marketing – Doctors videos can be uploaded to social media platforms of Pharmaceutical pages to gain trust from the common public for particular therapy the doctors talk about. This gives doctors a good reach on Social Media which ultimately benefits the relations of Pharmaceutical Organizations and Doctors.
- Content Marketing – Content such as – blogs, newsletters, infographics, creative display of common therapy information in layman and visual images for better engagement on social media.
- Organic marketing– Organic marketing needs a lot of robust activities and presence engaging the common audience online.
There are ways you can use Social Media for therapy in Pharmaceutical companies for their marketing: Case Study Strategy.
Social Media Awareness of Therapy
The diagrammatic representation is about Social Media Marketing Strategy has taken up by Pharmaceutical Organizations for a particular therapy. Online marketing of therapy is done by social media awareness of the therapy in layman language.
Social Media is a platform that can help Healthcare organizations gain trust and maintain their place in the market. On the other hand, Social media will help spread awareness to common people who are in search of information about therapy, or healthcare professionals in their reach.